Our three-week Career Strategies Workshop takes place after two semesters of academic courses on-campus, and before the CPT internship. It is led by the expert coaches of our career center. A hands-on approach is used to develop the full spectrum of skills necessary for professional success. Students receive a wide array of resources to help them comfortably adapt to U.S. work culture.
“Our goal is to empower students to be self-sufficient in their search and interaction with recruiters and companies,” says Employer Relations Manager, Jim Garrett. “Completing this workshop not only improves student confidence, but more importantly, their level of professionalism. Technical skills aren’t enough to get hired for an internship. Students must present themselves professionally. They must engage. They have to see how to fit into the company, into their team. All these things may be subjective, but can be taught. We have proven strategies to do that.”
Unique Advantages for ComPro Students
The ComPro program sets students up for success in a very holistic way: Academically, by developing high-demand technical skills; personally, with an ideal routine that includes daily practice of the scientifically validated Transcendental Meditation® technique, and professionally, with our Career Strategies Workshop.
“A data-driven approach is used to pinpoint areas of opportunity for students, then help them refine their skills and strategy to yield the best results: obtaining their CPT position,” says Sheri Shulmier, Director of Computer Science Career Development. “Students are given step-by-step building blocks for a very natural learning journey. We alternate teaching, practicing and mastering the skills that will empower students for the rest of their lives.”
Workshop Topics Include
- Finding an ideal curricular practical training (CPT) practicum
- Understanding ethical, legal, and social expectations in American business culture
- Preparing a professional resume and cover letter
- Identifying your marketable skills
- Learning a formula for successful interviewing
- Practicing coding challenges and technical responses
- Networking for CPT placement success
- Working with recruiting agencies and company recruiters
- Connecting your skills to the work description
- Using job boards and sites
- Relocating to your practicum city
- Overview of practical training options and government regulations
Our career center is recognized for the far-reaching support given to students. The Career Strategies Workshop goes above and beyond what most universities offer.
“After students complete their on-campus studies, several teams continue to support them,” says Sheri Shulmier. “The career center coaches are instrumental in preparing them for job search, but the support doesn’t end there. The operations team sees them through the hiring process, and the optional practical training (OPT) and distance education teams continue to offer support long after the students leave campus and start their internships.”